Miami, Florida -March 27, 2019- Assembly of the Cuban Resistance. Today some of the leading Cuban American county and municipal officials have called on President Donald J. Trump for full implementation of sanctions against foreign investors in Titles III and IV of the Cuban Liberty Act, in what has become a groundswell of community support for full enactment of the measures.
Miami Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez, Miami City Mayor Francis Suarez, Doral City Mayor, Juan Carlos Bermudez, Coral Gables City Mayor, Raul Valdes-Fauli, Miami Dade, County Commissioners Jose Pepe Diaz and Esteban L Bovo, City of Coral Gables Commissioner Vince Lago, Jr. and Miami City Commissioners Joe Carollo, Willy Gort and Manolo Reyes have either signed on to an open letter to the President supporting his stand on Cuba and urging further action on Titles III and IV, or signed the “Yes to Titles III and IV” banner that scores of community leaders have put their names on and which will be sent to the President.
The letter and the banner were made public by the Assembly of the Cuban Resistance, which coalesces the main Cuban exile and resistance organizations at a press conference at the Bay of Pigs Monument on (place date). The Communist Regime in Cuba has repeatedly attacked the well-attended press conference on Cuban state media.
“The Cuban exile community is united in supporting full implementation of Titles III and IV,” said Brigade 2506 President Johnny Lopez De la Cruz.
“Full implementation of Titles III and IV is needed to counter the crimes against humanity perpetrated by the Communist Regime in Cuba against the Cuban and Venezuelan people,” said Sylvia Iriondo, president of Mothers Against Repression.
On February 24 of this year, an overflow crowd at Miami City Hall attending a joint Congress of resistance movements in Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela and at a massive car caravan that immediately followed it, repeatedly called for President Trump to implement the measures.
“One of the best ways to accelerate the liberation of Venezuela is to stiffen sanctions against the Cuban Communist puppet masters,” said former political prisoner and Venezuelan labor leader Carlos Ortega.
“The Cuban, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan voting blocs in Florida fully support implementation of Titles III and IV,” said Dr. Orlando Gutiérrez Boronat, of the Assembly of the Cuban Resistance.
On January 16, 2019 President Trump became the first US President in 23 years to partially lift Title III of the Cuban Liberty Act, also known as the Helms-Burton, by allowing US citizens whose properties in Cuba were illegally confiscated by the Castro Regime to sue Cuban military and intelligence companies making use of those facilities.
On March 4, 2019, Secretary of Stare Mike Pompeo established an unprecedented 30-day waiting period for the President’s decision on full implementation, as prior administrations had previously extended the suspension of Title III for six-month periods.
"In 1996, President Clinton signed the Cuba Liberty Act surrounded by the families of three U.S. citizens and one resident assassinated over international waters by the criminal Communist Regime in Cuba. Title III and IV of this Act have remained dormant since then, meaning that for twenty three years, what had been conceived as justice at the time as yet to be served", said Mario de la Peña, father of Mario Manuel de la Peña, one of the four assassinated on February 24, 1996.